POSITION SUMMARY: Under supervision of Program Management, performs duties in support of therapeutic services to an adult population composed of persons with substance-use disorders, SMI, dual-diagnoses and/or referred persons. Assists with medication practices that are focused on increasing the behavioral health recipient’s medication independence, quality outcomes and are in compliance with licensure requirements; performs related duties as required.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Escorts patients to and from exam rooms, Primary Care Provider offices, and treatment rooms as appropriate.
- Obtains and records patient data prior to each Primary Care Provider visit, including but not limited to, vital signs, height, weight, allergies, and medication changes; obtains all necessary patient records as required by Primary Care Provider and verifies presence of consent prior to treatment or procedures.
- Generates and maintains medical, organization, and program records; conducts preliminary and follow-up audits; requests and receives information, and updates information/forms according to established formats and timelines.
- Documents all activities in the medical record according to policy, using approved forms.
- Obtains blood specimens from peripheral sites as needed and in accordance with OSHA and universal precautions.
- Prepares and stocks exam/treatment rooms and orders supplies as needed and maintains all exam/treatment room disinfection protocols.
- Responsible for office procedures including but not limited to EKGs, dipsticks, glucose screenings, medication injections and other procedures.
- Assists the PCP in the setup for preparation of medical outpatient/office procedures and assists with exams within the scope of agency policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the communication to and between patients and the PCP regarding clinical information such as lab results and other diagnostics.
- Assists with patient education including but not limited to distributing education literature, etc.
- Performs administrative duties, such as answering calls for referral to nurse, pharmacist or Primary Care Provider, calling in prescriptions, assisting with select pre-authorizations and pre-certifications, typing, filing faxing reception, etc as requested by supervisor or Primary Care Provider.
- Schedules patient tests, procedures and hospital admissions and schedules appointments to follow-up on receipt of test results, as applicable.
- Coordinates physical and behavioral health care needs for members, to include specialty care for patients in need of external consultation, as requested by the primary care practitioner.
- Performs referral case management functions, such as scheduling, tracking, providing reports or scanning consultation reports into medical records.
- Coordinates member care with the PCP or Integrated Care Provider and RBHA Care Management Department and coordinates transition of member care for PCP services into or out of the clinic setting.
- Screens for physical health issues and ensures clinical interventions recommended by the RBHA care manager/care coordinator are incorporated into the members care.
Medical Assistant diploma from accredited medical assisting program
A High School Diploma/GED.
Some assignments require an Arizona DPS Class One Fingerprint Clearance Card
Some assignments require a current Arizona Driver License and a current satisfactory 39-month Motor Vehicle Record (MVR).
Some assignments require evidence of freedom from infectious pulmonary tuberculosis
Must be 21 years of age
Minimum 1 year recovery from drugs and/or alcohol
Minimum typing speed of 25 wpm