Senior Underwriter, Private Non-Profit, Financial Lines
Who we are
American International Group, Inc. (AIG) is a leading global insurance organization. Building on 100 years of experience, today AIG member companies provide a wide range of property casualty insurance, life insurance, retirement solutions, and other financial services to customers in more than 80 countries and jurisdictions. These diverse offerings include products and services that help businesses and individuals protect their assets, manage risks and provide for retirement security.Underwriting
AIG's underwriters develop insurance solutions that address the exposures of companies and individuals, and embody AIG's tradition of innovation, bringing to market groundbreaking insurance solutions for our changing world. About the role
AIG is seeking a Senior Underwriter to contribute to their industry leading Private Non-Profit team. AIG's strong foundation as the market leader in this area has consistently evolved through innovation, creativity, use of technology, and emphasis on data analytics. This role underwrites assigned risks under general direction. Has a greater underwriting authority and handles large accounts and/or more complex risks. What you need to know:
What we are looking for:
- Rapidly evaluating, prioritizing and selecting submissions to be underwritten.
- Demonstrating technical underwriting skills through strategic, thorough account reviews and file documentation.
- Exercising judgment, negotiating and making sound business decisions effectively based on level of authority.
- Renders alternative outcomes for more difficult situations and makes real-time decisions in a fast paced environment characterized by ambiguity and change.
- Using all appropriate underwriting tools, disciplines and knowledge of strategies to ensure underwriting guidelines are followed.
- Understanding fundamentals of loss trends, loss triangles, and ratemaking.
- Assisting management with the implementation of profit center strategic initiatives and providing technical underwriting and marketing support on other projects.
- Assisting regional manager and product leaders in further developing existing broker relations as well as establish new relationships to attract business opportunities.
- Collaborating with Distribution, Territory Managers, and other line(s) of business underwriters to target desirable accounts and cross selling opportunities.
- Working with management, brokers, clients, and outside counsel on deal structure, contract terms and conditions on a portfolio of more complex risks.
- Participating in various underwriting and marketing initiatives to improve company results and drive portfolio strategies.
- Developing strong, long term relationships with brokers and clients to profitably grow a book of business.
- Representing AIG at client and broker functions with supervision as necessary/appropriate.
- Contributing to the mentoring, training and development of less experienced staff.
- Participating in special underwriting projects as needed.
- Providing superior customer service to brokers and clients (internal & external).
- Minimum 3+ years of relevant professional experience. Commercial Insurance Company, Agency or Brokerage experience preferred.
- Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university.
- Advanced knowledge of the US Financial Lines business (D&O, EPL, PTL, Cyber, Fidelity) including product features, forms, regulatory environment and risks etc.
- Strong ability to identify, analyze and solve problems as well as the ability to learn rapidly, adapt quickly to change and exercise influence.
- Ability to exercise judgment, negotiate and make sound business decisions effectively based on level of authority.
- Demonstrated sales, marketing, and relationship building experience.
- Very strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work in dynamic, rapidly changing environment, adapting to changing requirements and collaborating with a wide range of colleagues to quickly deliver solutions.
- Comfort with analytical tools and technology.
For positions based in New York City, NY, the base salary range is $82,000 - $110,000 and the position is eligible for a bonus in accordance with the terms of the applicable incentive plan. In addition, we're proud to offer a range of competitive benefits, a summary of which can be viewed here: Benefits Overview. A look at our Benefits
We're proud to offer a range of employee benefits and resources that help you protect what matters most - your health care, savings, financial protection and wellbeing. We provide a variety of leaves for personal, health, family and military needs. For example, our "Giving Back" program allows you to take up to 16 hours a year to volunteer in your community. Our global mental health and wellness days off provide all colleagues with a paid day off to focus on their mental health and wellbeing.
We also believe in fostering our colleagues' development and offer a range of learning opportunities for colleagues to hone their professional skills to position themselves for the next steps of their careers. We have a tuition reimbursement program for eligible colleagues to enhance their education, skills, and knowledge in areas that relate to their current position or future positions to which they may transfer or progress.We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates are committed to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and its policies and procedures reflect this commitment. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories such as sexual orientation. At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission - creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.
To learn more please visit: www.aig.com/about-us/diversity-equity-and-inclusion
AIG is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to job applicants and employees with physical or mental disabilities. If you believe you need a reasonable accommodation in order to search for a job opening or to complete any part of the application or hiring process, please send an email to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]
. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
UW - Underwriting
Estimated Travel Percentage (%): Up to 25%
Relocation Provided: No
Risk Specialists Companies Insurance Agency, Inc.