The Development Specialist (DS) is a dynamic and creative front-line fundraiser responsible for securing and growing new income, developing relationships with major sponsors - either corporate, foundational, and/or individual -- and working to expand MDA's business including but not limited to MDA's core consumer engagement programs, community engagement activities, and IAFF programs. The Development Specialist will work with the Executive Director and the district development team in a highly collaborative manner to ensure income growth in the market. The Development Specialist will report to the Executive Director and work closely with all levels of the MDA Team. S/he is expected to collaborate with and take direction from the National Vice Presidents to ensure best practices are being followed. The Development Specialist may lead and direct the Development Coordinators on specific programs.
- Responsible for effectively and efficiently completing activities and meeting target deadlines to meet financial goals and execute successful consumer engagement, community, and IAFF events within the district business plan.
- Execute individual business plan to exceed revenue goals and quotas specifically related to growth and new income sources.
- Responsible for a minimum District goal of $250,000 including soft credit for Team Momentum.
- Identify and execute best practices that result in growth of event revenue in alignment with income plans. Drives best practices and encourages innovation.
- Create fundraising opportunities through various development techniques including prospecting, targeted follow-up and new lead generation.
- Leveraging existing business while continually generating new sales.
- Deliver organized, structured, and persuasive presentations, using effective written and verbal communication.
- Represent MDA throughout the community and actively engage in networking events and business development groups.
- Collaborate with local and national leadership to develop a fundraising strategy, timelines, and goals.
- Manage fiscal accountability, following the District Business Plan, including providing accurate monthly projections to Executive Director.
- Build relationships and accountability systems to ensure supporters are engaged and our mission is clearly articulated.
- Perform other duties or special projects as needed.
- Drive: Motivated to meet and exceed fundraising goals and quotas. Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with sponsors to meet business objectives.
- Initiative: Measure self against a standard of excellence. Undertake self-development activities and learn new skills, seek increased responsibilities and ask for and offer help when needed. Demonstrate the ability to work independently and collaboratively with a variety of personalities and leadership styles.
- Communication Skills: Clearly and persuasively communicate, including public speaking; listen and seek clarifications; participate in meetings; write clearly and informatively.
- Professionalism: Work well in a fast-paced environment; treat others with respect and consideration; accept responsibility for own actions. Understand business implications of decisions, align work with strategic goals, complete administrative tasks and develop strategies to achieve organizational goals.
- Flexibility: Able to multitask in a changing work environment. Manage competing demands and unexpected events. Willing to change approach to best fit the situation.
- Dependability: Follows instructions, takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments.
- Bachelor's degree (Business or Non-Profit Management preferred) and 2+ years of demonstrated fundraising, sales and/or business development experience with a track record of successfully meeting quotas and surpassing expectations or equivalent combination of education and work experience in sales and/or fundraising.
- Ability to work independently and have high personal expectations of work product.
- Ability to travel throughout District's territory as well as work evenings/weekends as necessary. Use of personal vehicle in the course of employment is needed to travel throughout the district. Significant local travel is required for this position; including visiting local business, sponsors, health care facilities, and events in public places. Valid driver's license required.
- Strong computer skills and ability to use existing technology to achieve desired results. Knowledge of Salesforce or similar CRM and ability to track and report on fundraising progress.
MDA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.