Eskenazi Health Volunteer Position Description
Position Title: Volunteer Hospital Resource Minister
Coordinator: Father Robert Lyons, Spiritual Care Manager
Summary: This volunteer opportunity will provide ministers from various faith traditions, not represented on the Eskenazi Health staff, to provide faith-specific programming and dedicated emergency resources, to the patients, families, and staff of Eskenazi Health.
There are two levels of Hospital Resource Minister:
1) Ordained (or equivalent) ministers who are able to provide all rites/rituals of a faith tradition necessary in a hospital (priest, pastor, imam, rabbi, etc.)
2) Lay Ministers who are able to provide companionship and, perhaps, a limited array of services to their co-religionists (nun, Eucharistic minister, commissioned lay visitor, etc.)
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Volunteers acknowledge that they may be called at any hour, day or night, for emergencies, when the patient/family/staff experiencing the emergency is of their own faith tradition; though we equally acknowledge that if the volunteer is unable to come, we understand.
2. Complete all necessary paperwork and evaluation forms following all policies and procedures set forth by Eskenazi Health and adhere to the code of ethics of the department as well as acknowledging organizational and departmental visions and values.
3. Perform related duties as assigned.
4. Must comply with HIPPA standards, policies and procedures of maintaining confidentiality of patient and medical information.
5. Volunteers are not permitted to:
a. Position or lift patients in/out of bed, chair or wheelchair.
b. Transport patients.
c. Communicate clinical information to patients, clients, visitors or family members.
d. Document clinical information.
e. Interpret/translate clinical information in another language.
1. Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age.
2. Successful completion of the online application, interview, hospital volunteer orientation, and position specific departmental training.
3. Volunteers will be required to submit to criminal background inquiry, national governmental sanction check, child abuse clearance, sexual offender registry clearance and Occupational Health Screening.